返回顶部

英语美文和名人演讲辞 (Essays and Famous Speeches)

[复制链接]
xyfanLv.9 显示全部楼层 发表于 2023-4-20 16:24:34 |阅读模式 打印 上一主题 下一主题
(I)
Three Passions I have Lived For
Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life; the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair.
I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy—ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of my life for a few hours for this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness—that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and thought it might seem too good for human life, this is what—at last—I have found.
With equal passion I have sought knowledge, I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine... A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.
Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.
This has been my life, and I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.
(II)
5 balls: work, family, health, friends and spirit
Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them work, family, health, friends and spirit and you're keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back.
But the other four balls—family, health, friends and spirit—are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for balance in your life. How?
Don't undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others. It is because we are different that each of us is special.
Don't set your goals by what other people deem important. Only you know what is best for you.
Don't take for granted the things closest to your heart. Cling to them as they would be your life, for without them, life is meaningless.
Don't let your life slip through your fingers by living in the past or for the future. By living your life one day at a time, you live ALL the days of your life.
Don't give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
Don't be afraid to admit that you are less than perfect. It is this fragile thread that binds us to each other. 
Don't be afraid to encounter risks. It is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.
Don't shut love out of your life by saying its impossible to find. The quickest way to receive love is to give it; the fastest way to lose love is to hold it too tightly; and the best way to keep love is to give it wings.
Don't run through life so fast that you forget not only where you've been, but also where you are going.
Don't forget, a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.
Don't be afraid to learn. Knowledge is weightless, a treasure you can always carry easily.
Don't use time or words carelessly. Neither can be retrieved.
Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a Mystery and Today is a gift: that's why we call it The Present.
(III)
I have a dream
I say to you, my friends, so even though we must face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed一we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, sons of former slaves and sons of former slave-owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
I have a dream that one day, even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.
I have a dream my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers; I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places shall be made plain, and the crooked places shall be made straight and the glory of the Lord will be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.
This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with.
With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood.
With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to go to jail together, knowing that we will be free one day.
This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning一 “my country tis of thee; sweet land of liberty; of thee I sing; land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride; from every mountain side, let freedom ring”一and if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.
So let freedom ring一from the prodigious hill tops of New Hampshire, let freedom ring; from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring一from the heights of Pennsylvania.
Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.
Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.
But not only that let freedom ring from the Stone Mountain of Georgia.
Let freedom ring from Lockout Mountain of Tennessee.
Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi, from every mountainside, let freedom ring.
When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and hamlet, from every state and city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children—black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Catholics and Protestants一will be able to join hands and to sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual,“Free at last, free at last; thank God Almighty, we are free at last, ”
(IV)
President Bush's Thanks Speeds
Thank you all. Thank you all for coming. We had a long night and a great night. The voters turned out in record numbers and delivered an historic victory.
Earlier today, Senator Kerry called with his congratulations. We had a really good phone call, he was very gracious. Senator Kerry waged a spirited campaign, and he and his supporters can be proud of their efforts. Laura and I wish Senator Kerry and Teresa and their whole family all our best wishes.
America has spoken, and I'm humbled by the trust and the confidence of my fellow citizens. With that trust comes a duty to serve all Americans, and I will do my best to fulfill that duty every day as your President.
There are many people to thank, and my family comes first. Laura is the love of my life. I'm glad you love her, too. I want to thank our daughters, who joined their dad for his last campaign. I appreciate the hard work of my sister and my brothers. I especially want to thank my parents for their loving support.
I'm grateful to the Vice President and Lynne and their daughters, who have worked so hard and been such a vital part of our team. The Vice President serves America with wisdom and honor, and I'm proud to serve beside him.
I want to thank my superb campaign team. I want to thank you all for your hard work. I was impressed every day by how hard and how skillful our team was.
I want to thank Marc, Chairman Marc Racicot and the Campaign Manager, Ken Mehlman. And the architect, Karl Rove. I want to thank Ed Gillespie for leading our Party so well.
I want to thank the thousands of our supporters across our country. I want to thank you for your hugs on the rope lines; I want to thank you for your prayers on the rope lines; I want to thank you for your kind words on the rope lines. I want to thank you for everything you did to make the calls and to put up the signs, to talk to your neighbors and to get out the vote. And because you did the incredible work, we are celebrating today.
There's an old saying,“Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks. ”In four historic years, America has been given great
tasks, and faced them with strength and courage. Our people have restored the vigor of this economy, and shown resolve and patience in a new kind of war. Our military has brought justice to the enemy, and honor to America. Our nation has defended itself, and served the freedom of ail mankind. I'm proud to lead such an amazing country, and I'm proud to lead it forward.
Because we have done the hard work, we are entering a season of hope. We'll continue our economic progress. We’ll reform our outdated tax code. We’ll strengthen the Social Security for the next generation. We'll make public schools all they can be. And we will uphold our deepest values of family and faith.
We will help the emerging democracies of Iraq and Afghanistan—so they can grow in strength and defend their freedom. And then our servicemen and women will come home with the honor they have earned. With good allies at our side, we will fight this war on terror with every resource of our national power so our children can live in freedom and in peace.
Reaching these goals will require the broad support of Americans. So today I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent: To make this nation stronger and better I will need your support, and I will work to earn it, I will do all I can do to deserve your trust. A new term is a new opportunity to reach out to the whole nation. We have one country, one Constitution and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America.
Let me close with a word to the people of the state of Texas. We have known each other the longest, and you started me on this journey. On the open plains of Texas, I first learned the character of our country: sturdy and honest, and as hopeful as the break of day. I will always be grateful to the good people of my state. And whatever the road that lies ahead, that road will take me home.
The campaign has ended, and the United States of America goes forward with confidence and faith. I see a great day coming for our country and I am eager for the work ahead. God bless you, and may God bless America,
谢谢大家。谢谢大家来到这里。我们度过了一个漫长的夜晚, 一个振 奋人心的夜晚。选民投票率创下了历史新高, 并带来了历史性的胜利。
克里参议员今天已打电话表示祝贺。我们进行了一次非常好的电话交谈, 他很有风度。克里参议员的竞选活动朝气蓬勃, 他和他的支持者理应 为他们的努力感到骄傲。我和劳拉向克里参议员、克里夫人及他们全家致 以最美好的祝愿。
美国人民表明了自己的选择, 我对同胞们给予我的信任和信心深表感激。这种信任意味着为全体美国人民服务的职责, 作为你们的总统, 我每天都将竭尽全力履行这一职责。
我要感谢的人很多, 首先是我的家人。劳拉是我一生的挚爱。你们也喜欢她, 这让我很高兴。我要感谢我们的女儿, 她们参加了父亲的最后一次竞选活动。我感谢我的妹妹和弟弟们的辛勤努力。我还要特别感谢我的父母对我的关爱支持。
我感谢切尼副总统、切尼夫人及他们的女儿, 他们付出了大量的心血, 已成为我们这个班子不可或缺的部份。副总统以他的智慧和尊严为美国效力, 能同他共事是我的荣幸。
我要感谢我出色的竞选班子。我要感谢你们所有人的辛勤工作。我们这个班子的勤奋精神和聪明才智每天都让我敬佩。我要感谢马克——马克•拉奇科特主席以及——竞选主管肯•梅尔曼。还有策选人卡尔•罗夫。 我要感谢埃德•吉莱斯皮把我们的党领导得这么好。
我要感谢全国各地成千上万名支持者。感谢你们等候在竞选现场, 同我拥抱, 为我祈祷, 对我进行勉励。我感谢你们的种种努力: 打电话、竖牌子、向邻里宣传并动员选民投票。由于你们的出色工作, 我们今天才能庆祝胜利。
古人云: “不要基于能力祈求任务, 而要基于任务祈求能力。”在具有历史意义的四年中, 美国人民凭着力量和勇气承担起他们被陚予的伟大使命。我国人民使美国经济恢复了生机, 并在新型战争中表现出决心和耐心。 我国军队给敌人以应有的惩罚, 并为美国增添荣耀。我们的民族不仅捍卫了国土, 还促进了全人类的自由。我将自豪地领导起这样一个令人赞叹的国家并带领它前进。
我们的辛勤努力开创了一个充满希望的时代。我们将继续推动经济发展。我们将改革已经过时的税法。我们将为下一代加强社会保障制度。我们将发挥公立学校的全部潜力。我们将捍卫涉及家庭与信仰的最根本的价值观。
我们将支持伊拉克和阿富汗这两个新兴的民主国家——帮助他们增强实力并保卫他们的自由。然后, 我军将士将载誉归来。在强大联盟的帮助下, 我们将调动一切国家资源进行这场反恐之战, 给我们的子孙后代创造自由与和平的生活。
实现这些目标需要广大美国人民的支持。因此, 今天我想对投票支持我的竞选对手的每一位选民说: 为了使我们的国家更强大、更美好, 我需 要你们的支持, 并将努力贏得你们的支持。我将竭尽全力, 不辜负你们的信任。新的任期是一个团结全国人民的新契机。同一个国家、同一部宪法及同一个未来将我们紧紧联系在一起。只要我们团结一致、齐心协力, 国将日益强大, 前途无量。
最后, 请允许我对得克萨斯州人民讲几句话。我们相识的时间最长, 是你们将我送上了这个旅程。在得克萨斯州一望无际的平原上, 我第一次领会了我们这个国家的特性: 坚毅、诚实, 像朝阳般充满希望。我将永远感激得克萨斯州善良的人民。不管前面是一条什么样的路, 这条路都将带我回家。
竞选已经结束, 美利坚合众国怀着信心与信念向前迈进。我看到了我国的光明前景, 并迫切希望投入眼前的工作。愿上帝保佑你们, 愿上帝保佑美国。
# T0 X4 o: A; N% y2 ~
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即加入

本版积分规则

传薪教育,传承创新,传薪助力!线上线下平台,助力小学、初中、高中师生的课前、课中、课后多场景教学、训练、检测和考试,依托学校、老师、家长、教辅出版商等多方合力辅助教与学,借助大数据和人工智能等潮流技术,积极响应国家“双减”政策,真正实现高效教学!
  • 官方手机版

• 微信公众号

• 商务合作